is a red Bordeaux wine made in the Pomerol region. During the French Revolution, the first reference to vines in the ‘Graves de Bonalgue’ area appeared in local archives. A veteran from Napoleon’s Grand Army, Captain Rabion, inherited the land and built a handsome residence. The building housed his regimental arms, and the garden was filled with magnificent Lebanese Cedar trees; Chateau Bonalgue was born. The Bourotte family bought the property in 1926. Pierre Bourotte in 1961, then his son Jean-Baptiste in 2005 : two mythic vintages have marked the turning of the generations... the vineyard today is in excellent condition, and the property continues to improve and to refine its methods, while always paying tribute to the exceptional terroir of Bonalgue. The vineyard is planted to 90% Merlot, with Cabernet Franc completing the other 10%. It consists of 7.55 hectares of gravel and sandy-clay soils, with a subsoil of gravels and alios – the rich band of iron-ore that so distinguishes the Pomerol
terroir. These qualities make this a heat-retaining soil, that means grapes ripen early and evenly, reaching perfect maturity. The vines have an average of 25 years old, and the precise and meticulous attention to detail in the vineyard means they produce quality grapes year after year. Pruning, leaf thinning, debudding, green harvesting... each process is carefully though-out, right up to the picking of grapes into small-sized trays to ensure against crushing or damage.. The final stage before heading to the winery is a hand-sorting in the vines, that takes place bunch by bunch, then berry by berry, ensuring nothing gets missed. The wine is aged for 18 months in French oak. The generosity of Merlot on this early-ripening terroir brings an exuberant expression to the wine; ripe grapes bring a silky, velvety texture in the mouth, and a strikingly aromatic nose. Bonalgue is open and engaging when young (2-6 years); it doesn’t close down, but after a few years of ageing (7-15 years) reveals its more sophisticated side without ever losing its voluptuous nature.
"Black fruit and smoky bacon, a little herbaceous. Quite closed. Very very fine tannins and gives the impression that the fruit is there but not yet out of its shell. Utmost restraint and as yet hidden depth.
Drink 2012-20." Jancis Robinson
"A consistently well-made, fleshy, succulent, hedonistic Pomerol" Robert Parker