Borgo dei Trulli Liala Negroamaro Salento IGP

Borgo dei Trulli Liala Negroamaro Salento IGP

£21.95 / bottle
£250.23 / case (12+ bottles, 5% off)

Additional information

Bottle Sizes
Main Grapes
Origin ,
Vintages

Description

Borgo dei Trulli Liala is a red wine made from 100% Negroamaro grapes from the the Salento wine-growing region of Puglia, the southernmost region of  Puglia in the heel of Italy. It is bottled as a Salento Indicazione Geografica Protetta (IGP).

Masseria Borgo dei Trulli, to give it its full name, is a new wine venture made by Orion Wines, a company created to bring together interesting wines from small growers and wineries from all over Italy. The company was created by Luca Pomaro and winemaker Alessandro Michelon with the premise of producing wines from indigenous grapes that express the typicity of the particular region where they are grown. The Masseria Borgo dei Trulli estate is located in the heart of Salento and is owned and managed by Orion wines with Alessandro Michelon as head winemaker ably assisted by his wife Elena. Around 80% of wine produced at the estate is red wine produced from Negroamaro and Primitivo with some white wine, including Vermentino.

The 100% Negroamaro grapes for the Borgo dei Trulli Liala come from some of the oldest vineyards of the estate, located in the commune of Guagnano in the province of Lecce. The vineyards offer very low yields (700-800g per plant) and there is a carefully selection of grapes to make this impressive Negroamaro. The vines are grown in the local bush style known as ‘alberello pugliese’ and they have an average age of 80 years old. The grapes are hand harvested into small 5kg crates of place from mid-September. The grapes are harvested when they are over-ripe and have begun a natural appassimento on the plant. The over-ripening allows greater concentration to be obtained, while preserving the fragrance of red fruits. After de-stemming, the grapes are not crushed, allowing them to remain intact, reducing damage to the skins and optimizing colour extraction. Fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks at a controlled temperature of 23-25°C for 8-10 days. Selected yeasts that are ideal for Negroamaro are used for fermentation. Frequent pumping over and rack and return are carried out during the fermentation to achieve gentle extraction of aromas and supple tannins. After racking, malolactic fermentation is induced. After malolactic fermentation 70% of the wine is racked and placed in 225 litre barrels and 3,000 litre oak casks for 7-8 months. Using different sized barrels gives the wine an excellent balance of fruit and oak. The remaining 30% is placed in stainless steel tanks. The components are then blended mid to end of June. The 2019 is 16.5% ABV.

The wine is named Liala, a lady’s name meaning “night”. Borgo di Trulli says “the colour of our Negroamaro reminds the darkness of the night. Intense, deep and inviting – even mysterious”.

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Borgo dei Trulli Liala Negroamaro Salento IGP”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

five − five =

Related Products...

INFORMATION LINKS
FOLLOW
INTOUCH
Address: 55 High Street, Fareham, Hampshire PO16 7BG | UK VAT No. 544 2912 49 | Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS) Unique Registration Number (URN) XVAW00000101036 | EORI No: GB544291249000 | Copyright © 2021 Fareham Wine Cellar All rights reserved
  • We will use the data you submit to fulfil your request. Privacy Policy.