Chateau du Tertre is a Margaux classified as a fifth growth in the historic 1855 classification of Bordeaux.
Château du Tertre can trace its history back to the 12th century, has 50 hectares of vineyards which neighbour those of Cantenac-Brown and Brane-Cantenac to the north and Giscours to the east. Located on the tertre (French for “hillock” or “rising ground”) from which it takes its name, the ancient origins of Château du Tertre are traced back to the Seigneurie d’Arsac documented as early as 1143 whose descendants owned the estate into the 16th century. Le Tertre passed through the ownership of the Arrérac family and Marquis de Ségur until the 1855 classification, when owned by Charles Henri, Le Tertre held a good reputation and was in demand on the Dutch market. It was sold it on to Henri de Koenigswarter in 1870 under whose ownership Le Tertre’s reputation increased further. By World War II the reputation and production had diminished, but in 1961 Château du Tertre was acquired by Philippe Gasqueton, who restored the vineyards and château with the backing of Belgian business partners. Following Gasqueton’s death in 1995 his widow sold the property to Eric and Louise Albada Jelgersma, owners of the neighbouring estate Château Giscours.
The vineyard plantings at Chateau du Tertre consist of 43% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot, 19% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot and cover some 52 hectares. The soils here are well drained gravel soils. The wine is vinified in a combination of concrete, wood and stainless steel vats with pumping over depending whether each lot requires it. Each plot of vines is vinified separately according to the age of the vines and the different terrois. After vinification the wine is aged in 100 % French oak barrels (fine grain and medium toast), a combination of 45% new and 55% second fill for a period of 15 to 17 months prior to bottling.