Mazzei Fonterutoli Chianti Classico DOCG

£25.50 / bottle
£290.70 / case (12+ bottles, 5% off)

Additional information

Origin ,
Main Grapes
Other Grapes ,
Vintages
Bottle Sizes
Website Mazzei

Description

Mazzei Fonterutoli Chianti Classico DOCG is made at the Castello di Fonterutoli estate which has been owned by the Mazzei family since 1435.

Fonterutoli is located in the heart of the Chianti Classico wine-growing region some a couple of miles to the south of the commune of Castellina in Chianti in Tuscany. The history of the Mazzei family is intrinsically linked to the history of winemaking in Tuscany and there are mentions of the family as far back as the 11th Century. A new state of the art winery, designed by family member and architect, Agnesi Mazzei, was completed in 2006. The winery is gravity fed, the grapes, juice and wine move throughout the winery under their weight and a big emphasis is placed on sustainability and minimal environmental impact.

Today the estate comprises some 650 hectares, 117 hectares under vine, and is located in five principal production areas: Fonterutoli, Siepi, Badiola, Belvedere and Caggio. The vineyards are planted with mainly Sangiovese grapes with some Merlot, Colorino, Malvasia Nera and Cabernet Sauvignon. The soils are comprised of ‘Galestro’, a classic Tuscan shale, which has excellent drainage and encourages the vines to put down deep roots and ‘Alberese’, a compact, fine grained limestone marl. Yields are kept low at less than 40 hectolitres per hectare to produce high quality, complex, elegant and structured wines.

Mazzei Fonterutoli Chianti Classico DOCG is a blend of 90% Sangiovese with the other 10% comprised of Malvasia Nera, Colorino and Merlot sourced from 7 different vineyard sites in the commune of Castellina. The vineyards are located between 220 – 550 metres above sea level with an average age of 12 to 35 years and the grapes are handpicked. The wine is vinified in the traditional manner and there is a maceration period of 16 -18 days. The wine is aged for 12 months in a mixture of small French oak barrels (225 and 500 litre) 40% of which are new.

The 2019 is 90% Sangiovese, 5% Mavasia Nera and 5% Colorino.

Tasting Notes

Mazzei Fonterutoli Chianti Classico DOCG is well proportioned, elegant body, dark berry, fresh spice flavors, intense, smooth taste.

Food Pairing

Serve with cold cuts, hearty pasta dishes and pepperoni pizza! This is the ideal BBQ pour!

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Mazzei Fonterutoli Chianti Classico DOCG”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Products...

INFORMATION LINKS
FOLLOW
INTOUCH
Address: 55 High Street, Fareham, Hampshire PO16 7BG | UK VAT No. 544 2912 49 | Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS) Unique Registration Number (URN) XVAW00000101036 | EORI No: GB544291249000 | Copyright © 2024 Fareham Wine Cellar All rights reserved