Lapostolle Grand Selection Chardonnay is 100% Chardonnay from the Casablanca Valley.
Lapostolle was founded by Alexandra Marnier Lapostolle and her husband Cyril de Bournet in 1994. The Marnier Lapostolle family, founders and owners of the world-renowned liqueur Grand Marnier, is famous for producing spirits and liqueurs, but the family has also been involved in winemaking for generations. In creating Lapostolle, the family has pursued the same uncompromising approach to quality that made Grand Marnier a global success. Its objective is as simple as it is ambitious: to create world-class wines using French expertise and the superb terroirs of Chile.
Today Lapostolle owns 370 hectares in three different vineyards and produce a total of 200.000 cases spread over Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Carmenère, and Syrah. Lapostolle winery is located in the town of Cunaco, right next to Santa Cruz. It is the original winery, where Lapostolle was founded in 1994 and today it is here where both the Casa and Cuvée Alexandre wines are produced.
The Casablanca Valley exhibits a cold Mediterranean climate. Located right next to the pacific ocean in the central part of Chile, the climate is moderated by the cold Humboldt current travelling from the Southern Pole. This current drops the temperatures and the coastal winds refresh the valley’s climate. The perfect combination of cold temperatures with a dry summer allows the Chardonnay grapes to maintain their acidity and ripen very slowly with very little risk of rain during the Autumn.
The grapes for the Lapostolle Grand Selection Chardonnay are transported from the Atalayas vineyard to the winery in the Casablanca Valley inrefrigerated containers to ensure they arrive at the winery in best condition. The fruit is sorted using Vistalys optical selection technology. 34% of the clusters went straight to the press and were directly pressed whilst the remaining 66% was destemmed, crushed and macerated in a steel tank at low temperature for 6 to 12 hours. The juice is then racked into stainless steel tanks. 80% of the clear juice is fermented in stainless steel tanks in order to preserve the freshness of the fruit and the remaining 20% was fermented in French oak barrels. No malolactic fermentation was done.