Niepoort Redoma Tinto is Niepoort’s original Douro wine, first released in 1991. It is like Douro: “extreme, with a rigorous character”. Redoma represents the Douro as it is: wild, with strong character, capable of giving structured dark colored wines, with good acidity, full of complexity and personality, but also balanced and elegant, with great ageing potential.
Niepoort Redoma is produced from several old vineyards, from Cima Corgo, in the geographic center of the Douro region, mainly from old north-facing vineyards from Quinta de Nápoles and Pinhão Valley. This gives the best of two worlds: concentration from the old vineyards and freshness and elegance from the high north facing ones. 2007 was an excellent year with good levels of rainfall evenly spread out during all growing and maturation season, this led to a balanced maturation period without too much hydric stress, with low yields all wines had the perfect combination between concentration and acidity. The harvest occurred during September.
After careful selection both in the vineyards and in the winery, all the grapes for Niepoort Redoma Tinto were fermented without the stems, partially in stainless steel small vats with longer maceration and partially in traditional stone lagares where the grapes were gently foot trodden. 60 % of the wine aged in French oak barrels, and the remaining 40% in 2000 lts oak vats, where malolactic fermentation occurred.
The Niepoort Redoma Tinto blend includes Tinta Amarela, Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cao and several other grape varieties.