Viu Manent Gran Reserva Chardonnay 2015 is made using grapes from a vineyard located in the Litueche. Viticulture in the area is possible largely because of the oceanic influence where warm summer days, cool night combined with sea breezes and fog ensure the grapes develop slowly attaining full ripeness.
Viu Manent is a family owned business founded in 1935 by expatriate Catalan Miguel Viu Garcia and sons. Initially the family prospered as a negociant wine business but, in 1966, they finally fulfilled the dream of owning their own winery with the purchase of the Hacienda San Carlos de Cunaco. It is here in the Colchagua valley where their vineyards are located and the estate includes 150 hectares of pre-phylloxera vines. Today the estate totals over 260 hectares of vineyards spread over three locations San Carlos, La Capilla and El Olivar with some vineyards in Casablanca for their white wines.
Viu Manent Gran Reserva Chardonnay is made with grapes sourced from the Valle de Colchagua – Costa. 60% of the grapes were whole cluster pressed, and the remainder were destemmed. Alcoholic fermentation took approximately 3 weeks at 16º–22ºC. The wine was then held on its fine lees with weekly stirring to obtain greater silkiness and body. 42% of the blend was fermented in previously used French oak barrels and then aged in the same barrels for 7 months. The remaining 58% was fermented and held in stainless steel tanks to lend greater freshness and fruit to the final blend.